To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Wrapped up in love

Waaay back in June my darling son sent me a package from Taiwan that contained fabric. Boy, was I surprised because fabric shopping isn't exactly his version of an entertaining event. Still, I loved the fabric, but then I was afraid to make anything with it because what if I made a mistake? What if I didn't like what I made? So, the beautiful fabric sat on the shelf next to my sewing table and though I would often lay it open on my workspace, I would always fold it neatly and place it back in a stack thinking I would someday come up with the perfect use for it. Now, I've read on many blogs where people have said, "I saw it and knew exactly what to do with it," but I've not held out much hope that that would happen for me. Haha....that was before Heather posted her first Circle of Stones, and before I followed the link to learn more about So Wabi Sabi, and before I saw the beautiful scarf she had made with cotton and silk, but that's when I finally knew. As soon as I saw Elizabeth's scarf I, too, knew exactly what I was going to make with some of my Taiwan fabric. So, without further ado, may I present to you the Wrapped In Love scarf. I say wrapped in love because even though Alex is half-way around the world I can still carry a bit of him with me whenever I wear the scarf. I'm sentimental like that.

Oh, it was so much fun to make and I'm delighted with how it turned out. It wasn't even difficult to cut into the fabric because I just knew this scarf was the perfect project!

As an aside, this berry case belonged to my Great Grandparents (I have lots of their belongings) and I love using it to hold my sewing notions. I feel like it helps me stay connected to them. Okay, I can't wear it, but I sort of look for their touch sometimes when I'm sewing. Do you do that? Do you touch old things and try to feel the people who used them before you?

So, I'm off to enjoy some time of quiet reflection and craftiness. See you Monday and may you find yourself wrapped in love this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment