To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Why risk frostbite?

My friends and I were supposed to go paddling over the weekend, but the biting cold, blowing wind and below zero wind chill made it the perfect recipe for frostbite....and that's no fun. Cold? Bring it! Cold with wind? Not so much. Oh well, we hit the winery instead, had ourselves a marvelous time, aaaand I found a couple of Michigan treasures to send back to Taiwan.


It hurt our cheeks to be out walking in this. B braved the cold for these shots while I watched from inside the warm truck. Smart girl, don't you think?

Back at the 'cabin', it was cozy and warm and friendly in this room so I played with the camera a bit while my girlfriends played with paper and pencils.




I snuck in a little bit of knitting in between playing a game or two. That knitting project is also going back to Taiwan with Alex as a thank you gift to dear friends of his who sent me coffee from their shop. On the off chance that you happen to get to Taoyuan, you must visit Shen Cafe and tell Shen and Fanny that Alex's Mom told you to go. They are a delightful couple and they take marvelous care of my son.


Oh, and for some really great news (rubbing my hands together).....I have a new camera. Someone, you might guess who, happened to find a fantastic deal on a used D70. It's sitting at his house right now and I'm chomping at the bit to get to it. Soon....very soon. I love my Pentax because it's small and waterproof (very important) and although it's wonderful for using on the rivers and lakes when we paddle, I find it to be quite limited for the many types of photography I like. I love close-ups and low light situations. The Pentax doesn't work so well for those.

I'll bet I get to play with the camera this weekend.....

1 comment:

  1. your drawing is beautiful! those are pencils, not pens????
    i love the snow-at-the-water photos. oh, and thank you thank you for that sweet post on my blog!
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete