To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

One Small Change

Check this out if you haven't already. The premise being that if each of us makes one small change, then those changes will add up to something big. I've been pondering what to do. I was walking through my house trying to come up with ideas and I admit, it needed to be something that wasn't going to make my life more difficult or cost a substantial amount of money to implement. I think I do a pretty good job of practicing green behavior. I already use cloth grocery bags, I recycle and reuse much of what comes through my house, I've changed out light bulbs, I unplug or turn off the power to appliances that aren't necessities, I don't buy bottled water, I use natural products for cleaning.....I could probably go on, but the point is that it was hard for me to come up with something quickly until I grabbed an orange for a snack. Ok, so I know they aren't grown locally and seriously, at this point I'm not going to stop eating oranges in the winter, but then I threw the orange peels in the trash. Um, that's not what I would do in the spring, summer or fall, but for some reason I don't compost in the winter. Why? I don't know. Perhaps because I would have to get my boots on and go traipsing out to the back yard? "Huh, well, big deal," I said to myself, "looks like you found your one small change to start with." So, I'm in....count me in. I'll work real hard to find more I can do for the next few months, but I'll start with that. Can't wait to find out what others are doing.

1 comment:

  1. excellent! composting is great!
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete