To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What new paths lie ahead?

Once upon a time, in what seems to be only a moment ago, I was the one doing the teaching and guiding. I did that to the best of my abilities and though I didn't set the best example all the time (understated) I managed to raise 3 extraordinary boys, now men. To this day I am amazed that the tables turned and I began to learn from them. Each, with their unique personalities, teaches me about life and myself constantly. In raising them I learned to be brave, to take risks, to push my boundaries and then to stand firm in what I believe is right. I learned to trust my instincts and to question status quo, to forge new paths. They say I taught the same to them. I don't know how.
I learned that they value and respect me as much as I value and respect them, but raising them also taught me to value and respect myself. I learned about responsibility and trust and honor. I learned about love, the boundless capacity to love.
Today I feel as if I'm on a precipice looking over a whole new world and what a beautiful world it is. I think I'll jump and see where I land. I think I'll leap and see where the wind takes me. I think my upcoming birthday is making me introspective. I think I like what I'm finding. Oh, happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment