To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Friday, September 26, 2008

The continuing duck stories?

I've written about these guys a few times already so I hope you aren't bored reading about them. They are a never-ending source of entertainment for our office, the other offices in the building, for our clients, and even visitors from nearby businesses. They're demanding and noisy and funny and charming and lovable - each with their own unique personality - seriously! And I won't even start on the various quacks they have.

We have a new girl who shows up at feeding time whom we've affectionately named Pocahontas. Bet you can't guess why.

This is how we do the daily feeing: Walk out the back door, clap your hands a few times and wait. The ducks come quacking and running (or swimming or flying) from all over. They have learned what clapping means. It turns into a feeding frenzy and you better be quick about giving out the food or they'll peck at your hands and your pants to make you notice them.

They used to be afraid of the camera. Not anymore. Now, I think they expect it to spit out food or something. These two certainly seemed to be expecting something.
Many of them can be hand fed and today, while I was passing out pieces of food I felt a duck pushing between my legs from the back. It was Dolores barging in for her 'preordained' portion. She's so funny now. She'll drive the other ducks back so she can get her food and sometimes, if she feels like it, she'll even let us pet her.

No comments:

Post a Comment