To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Quick Photo Tour

My sons and I spent many vacations in Grand Marais with my mother just playing on the beach, hiking the waterfalls, relaxing and exploring. The last time we were here was in 1996, before my mother got sick. She died a few years later.  For a while my sons wouldn't go back because, "it won't be the same without Grandma." *sigh* Many, many fond memories. Now I have grandchildren of my own and we were ready to show them the places behind our fabulous stories. We started planning last year and time passed excruciatingly slow the last month as we counted down the days before departure. This place was always holy ground for me - turns out it still is and I'm ever so thankful for that.

Sir K's first experience with Lake Superior - he was properly awed. He said it looked like the ocean. It does, without the salt.

We're here and ready to explore our second home. My little family has grown significantly. My mother would have loved this excursion.

I have a picture of F.Y.S. and F.M.S. in this same spot 12 years ago. F.Y.S. hiked Au Sable Falls with Jewels this time as F.M.S. now lives in Taiwan. We missed you, honey.

Here we have the result of being 2 years, 9 months old and having spent the last 3 days hiking up and down the dunes, swimming, exploring, staying up late, getting up early and being given white milk when you specifically asked for chocolate. Did I mention she hadn't taken any naps?

Oh my, we discovered the most amazing cove that we dubbed Guppy Beach and spent the day playing with play with complete abandon.

Swiss Family Robinson surely must have tried to paddle logs out into the sea as well.

Where else can you find a Star Wars Speeder Bike that crash landed on your private beach?

Lingering an extra two minutes to pick the berries before leaving Guppy Beach. Is it time to go home already?

No comments:

Post a Comment