To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Gardens are for pleasure

Let me just say that I love my gardens and as much as I love digging in the dirt in the spring I don't love spending my whole summer keeping the gardens in order. I used to put flats of annuals in every year and spend time each evening deadheading to keep the flowers looking their best. No more. A couple years ago I made a concerted effort to plant more perennials and last year I made the decision not to plant any annuals. Shoot, I didn't even make up the pots this year. What a difference that's made in my free time. I might be (mostly) done with annuals evermore. Now I've drawn up plans to replace my front yard with drought tolerant gardens to see if I can cut down on my next biggest chores of mowing and watering.
I've wanted a Clematis for years so how could I possibly say no to this......

It now graces a pretty trellis I found at the market this spring.

1 comment: