To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

I tried something new.

Taiwan son sent me a lovely piece of linen a few years back that had been dyed with tea - he did it himself. I use it as a runner on my coffee table and I've received many compliments on the fabric so when I wanted to change out the white sheers hanging on my living room windows, I knew just the thing to give them a bit of subtle color. Tea dye. I asked him how to do it and he sent me here, which gave me a good idea of what to do, but you hardly need directions and I didn't really follow what I read.
You just make very strong tea in a mason jar which I left to steep overnight.
Put hot water in the bathtub (a pink tub is best), add the tea and put your material in to soak.  I left it for a few hours and gave it a mix every once in a while. Looks pretty disgusting doesn't it?
Then I squeezed all the water out and hung them over the tub to dry. Easy, and no more white.

No comments:

Post a Comment