To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I wish I knew them all.




I wish I knew all the women who owned these wooden spools of thread before they were handed down to me. I wish I knew what each thread was used to make. I wish I knew their choice of fabric. Who did they make it for? What happened to the finished product?

Each of these remaining spools has been handed down to me by my mother or grandmother and I'm very particular about using them. They do not get used for practice projects. Once a spool is emptied I save it in a basket with wooden beads that my granddaughter plays with. (Is that wierd?) She stacks them and strings them and sorts them. She takes care of them. Good for her.

I own 2 items that I know were handmade by relatives of mine. One is the yellow prom dress my mother made for herself in 1952. Dang! She was good! The other item is a framed piece that holds 3 squares from a crazy quilt embroidered by my g-g-great grandmother. Some day I'm going to try to duplicate all the stitches she used. Wouldn't it be awesome if she were able to teach me? Wouldn't it be awesome to know her? Wouldn't it be awesome to know her mother?

2 comments:

  1. soooooooooo not weird. is it weird that i hoard them for myself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have thread handed down from my mom and grandmothers and feel so connected to them through it! This past Christmas I let myself use some of it up on pajama-gifts for all my nieces and nephews...but I saved the spools!

    ReplyDelete