To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I did it!


The challenge was posted to give yourself one hour to clean out your closet. Awesome! I can do that, and one hour doesn't give me time to overthink what could go back in. I either had to love it or I've worn it in the past year. If not, the item had to go. This might not have been fair because I sort of did this a while ago, but I knew there were items in the closet that were just taking up space, or I had paid good money for, or I might lose weight and they'll fit me again, or....or....or.....

Riiiight, outta here!




I completely emptied the closet and dumped everything on the bed and floor. First, I put back all the clothes I wear all the time for work, then my much loved casual clothes, then the items I love that are for dressy. Shoes were easy to put back because I love the shoes I have, but I did dump 2 pair that weren't all that comfortable and I rarely wore. Really, why wear shoes that hurt my feet? Belts? Dumped all but 2. Purses? Okay, okay....I put those all back in the closet, but I love my purses and several are vintage from grandmothers and such. Besides, there are only 7 (in that closet, oops). That still left a good sized pile of clothes that I was pretty ruthless about sorting through.

"Crap! You mean I bought these 2 shirts and never wore them?" Fine, shed a tear or two and get rid of them.

"I haven't worn this in a year? Really?" I knew it was true because I did a trick in my closet last year. I turned all my hangers backwards on the rod and once I wore something, the hanger was turned the right way so I knew exactly what had been worn. Try it, you won't believe how many items just hang there taking up space.

And I purged...a whole pile of clothes, shoes and belts. Then I went straight to my computer, booted it up to ItsDeductible, priced the items, tossed them into a large trash bag and tied the bag shut. Now, it's ready to be donated. Whew! Doesn't that feel good? All of that in 1 hour and 7 minutes. That includes pricing.

Um, do I have to do the dressers next? I think so because I have 3 that are full and it's just me. So, one hour for each dresser and I'm done with that room. Yippee!!!

4 comments:

  1. great work - bet that feels so freeing! i love cleaning out closets and drawers but my sewing space is a mess - i need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I might try this over spring break, I think.

    P.S. I'll bring my swift home and I'll be in GR till the 14th, so let me know if/when you are available for yarn winding :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! i did this recently for a clothing swap. been to a swap twice now and it has been fabulous. purge the unwanteds and come home with a few perfect new to me items, all free!
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!!! Let me know how your closets go. I'm working on my sons closet and clothes this weekend. I hour... I love having that timeframe because there's no avoiding it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete