To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Thursday, March 18, 2010

I love it....


when the people in my life (females in particular) share my passion for handcrafts. Jewleigh is a much better and more daring knitter than I am. I love that she jumps right in with new projects and figures them out as she goes. I also love that I can go to her when I'm stumped, and believe me, she's fixed a fair number of mistakes for me. Thanks Jewleigh. She finished a hand-knit purse a year ago, but because she doesn't (didn't) sew, she needed my help with the lining. I gave her a quick lesson on the machine and how to hold the material and thread to begin, Jewleigh sat down, got her hands in position, paused, and then pulled her hands back and laughed. "I'm scared," she said. But then she just went for it. Not only did she make the lining, but she added a pocket, and not just a simple pocket. Nooo, not Jewleigh, she pulls out all of her necessities like her phone and pens and keys, measures them and makes dividers in the pocket to hold everything. Told you she was daring, and she's creative too.




Tah dah! A beautiful handmade purse.


The next day? Yeah, she was visiting with a friend of her mother's and the woman gave her a sewing machine that wasn't being used. Does Jewleigh say thank you, go home and put the machine in the closet because she doesn't really know how to use it? Nope, not Jewleigh. No, she goes to the fabric store for instructions on how to thread it and put the bobbin in and then she buys more material. She's so like that! Suppose I should brush up on my sewing skills so she doesn't blow right by me?

Love you Jewels...

No comments:

Post a Comment