To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Meet me at the bridge.

Favorite Youngest Son asked if I wanted to go for a bike ride on Mother's Day. I said yes. He said, "I'll meet you at the bridge and we'll ride the White Pine Trail." My goodness!
I can't begin to tell you how much I love all of you and how much I cherish your differences, but one of the things I love most about this 'boy' is his quiet strength. How he could give a hoot what other people say because he's going to live his life the way he wants to live it. He doesn't say that, but he surely lives it. Good for him!
We met at the bridge at 10 a.m. and proceeded North with the plan of stopping for lunch somewhere in Rockford. What a gorgeous morning. Just a slight chill in the air when we started, and it wasn't long before we were grateful for the shade along the path. We were also able to chat quite a bit because, as you know, the trail is wide enough to easily ride side-by-side.

Arrived in Rockford about 11:30, but since the restaurant didn't open until noon, we window shopped. He willingly agreed and said with a grin, "it's your day, we can do whatever you want." No worries, I didn't abuse my privileges.

Sam's Joint in Rockford is in an old hotel. Love that these restaurants choose old buildings and the only changes they make are those necessary to actually run the restaurant and bring it up to code. They're so quaint...just my kind of place. Delicious lunch and pleasant, easy conversation.
We rode up to the Wolverine store after lunch to look for low hikers for me. I tried on lots....and lots...and lots before finally settling on a super comfortable pair just as Kyle came around the corner, looked at the shoes and asked the sales clerk if they were Moab's. They were. Kyle said that's what both he and you wear. Yes, I bought them. Now I have boots just like Favorite Oldest Son for winter and cold weather hiking, and I have some just like F.Y.S. and F.M.S for warmer weather. Guess you know that makes me happy. Actually, I say it makes me feel more connected to all of you so I'm really happy the Moab's were the ones that fit the best.

Homeward bound and I have to say we rode a little slower going home. This is my first long ride of the year and my legs were kind of tired. Still, we made decent time and parted at the bridge, he to go his way home and me to continue on home as well. I took a picture of the odometer once I got home.
Yes, 29.2 miles later I was back home. My face was a touch sun burned and my legs a bit shaky, but it was a beautiful day and I got to spend it with one of my favorite sons. How perfectly wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment