To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The lamp

It belonged to your grandmother. She used it for a long time in her sewing room. More recently it's been used by me, but after the shade broke a couple years ago it's been in the cellar. I always thought the lamp was ugly and only used it because it was still functional. You know me, I couldn't justify investing in another lamp just because this one was ugly, but nor would I buy another shade. So it sat, in the cellar, collecting dust, until F.Y.S. needed a lamp for his living room.
Hmmm, remember when we refinished the salvaged table? I still have his can of paint and suspected it would make your grandmother's lamp usable again. I took it completely apart and sanded all the pieces, painted the wood the same color as the table, resprayed the antique gold pieces a matte silver, found an acceptable shade and voila! A new to him lamp.
Not bad for something that's been taking up space in the cellar. I think your grandmother would like that he's using her lamp now.

No comments:

Post a Comment