To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

'Bout time!

That we got back out for a sunrise paddle and took the boy with us.
Apparently, it is possible for the weather to be too hot to paddle. Seems a little odd since we're on the water, but it's the getting ready, and loading boats, and putting them in the water and the fact that we're paddling on the water...not in it. Yes, it's been a very hot summer so I'm thrilled with the break in the heat so I can get back on the water.

He had been sick earlier in the week, but when I called him on Saturday to ask if he was willing to be picked up at 6 a.m. the next morning he said without hesitation, "yes, I'm all better. I'll get up at 5:45 and be waiting for you." He was.
And he was happy about it. That's my boy. This is only the second time he's been paddling and frankly, he's a natural. I thought so the first time, but now I can see he has good balance and he's quick to feel how the boat moves and the different strokes needed to make it move the way he wants it to.
There he goes...not a care in the world...simply relaxed and attentive to the natural world into which he was floating.
These were a pleasant find and though we watched for a while from a distance, we eventually closed them in just long enough to get pictures before giving them lots of room to move away from us. I'm a little afraid of swans (as I should be) and these were noisily chattering and honking at us as they expressed their displeasure at having their exit blocked, if only for a little while.
I'm not sure who was the more inquisitive about whom...the Heron or us? He/she was funny and let us get quite close before flying down the shore.
Hehe...I apologized to D-I-L because I can see he's going to be addicted to 2 potentially expensive hobbies, but that's what we do outside, we document our adventures. It can't be helped.
See? He doesn't go far. Do you suppose he knows we're no threat?
Already angling for the perfect shot.

It was a gorgeous morning to be on the water. I thought it was going to be chilly, but it warmed up quickly in the four hours we spent paddling in and out of coves and across the lake. Not quite as much wildlife as when we were there in the Spring, but it's such a pretty lake that we didn't mind. You know I'm thrilled that he likes paddling so much. I anticipate many grand adventures with this boy.

1 comment:

  1. Have I mentioned before what cool grandparents you are?
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete