To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Grandma always said.....

to keep it in a North window and give it the last bit of your evening drink of water before you go to bed. If you do that you'll be rewarded with blooms many times each year. Looks like she knew what she was talking about because I do what she said and I've got new blooms coming.....again.

Seriously, my grandmother always had African Violets in her kitchen window and over the years I caught many glimpses of her sharing the last few sips of her water. Her voilets were constantly moist, but she also told me to never water from the top, only pour the water into the bottom saucer because if you water from the top, you risk getting water on the leaves and they will turn brown and die. It's true.

2 comments:

  1. This flower is beautiful. I would love to have one but I have a black thumb, nothing ever survives in my home. Not even cactus ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always had african violets, too! no idea why, but i would feel funny without one!
    nicola
    http://whichname.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete