To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Monday, August 17, 2009

The Dictionary

Such a useful book with many interesting wonders to find within if only one spends time perusing the pages. There are words, obviously, but what is intriguing about those words is the volume of new to me words I can use to supplement those I currently over use. Sometimes those new words can give clarity to what I've meant to say when I haven't known how to say it....if only I look inside. Okay, sometimes I need to use a loose interpretation, but the words are there.

I do get quite bored and sometimes frustrated with my vocabulary, but as much as I like having an expanded vocabulary, I do not want to be one of those people who will use words just to sound smart. I want my chosen words to be appropriate to the conversation, and sometimes, some times, I want my choice of words to have meaning for just one recipient if only because the word(s) were used in a private conversation. Those are the times when so much can be said with so few words.....and I smile.....knowing.

There are other things that can be found in the dictionary....at least, in my dictionary. I don't know from where or from whom or from how long ago, but I suspect they are a token of love from a child.

Today, on this day, I find it appropriate that tokens of love are found in the pages of a dictionary.

2 comments:

  1. had a lovely morning with your son today in ying ge. it's funny how his eyes light up at tea tastings more than almost any other time.
    he talks about you every time we get together and now he even says things like "you know how my mom.." or whatever. i'm in the club :)
    MK

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops i also meant to send along this link:
    http://www.mysteriousletters.blogspot.com/
    sooo cool.

    ReplyDelete