To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Clinging Birds

This past weekend was a great time for viewing tree clinging birds, more specifically, Woodpeckers. We don't usually see (or hear) so many. Also unusual is that they didn't seem that shy of us in spite of our stalking them for good photos.
Pileated Woodpecker, and they are generally quite shy. More so than most, it seems, which seems odd for such a large bird. We thought they sounded much like a Pterodactyl ought to.
Hairy Woodpecker - he seemed as interested in us as we were of him/her. At first I thought it was a Downy, but he's too big. Drat, I've never seen a Downy. Guess I'll have to spend more time in the woods.
The wonderful Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Did you know they are the ones responsible for the straight lines of holes we often see on trees? They're going after the sap, not bugs. Sapsucker, get it? ha
This is the beautiful Red-bellied Woodpecker. No, I did not get a glimpse of his belly.
Okay, okay, I know, this isn't a Woodpecker. It's a Chickadee butt. But it's a cute butt! Little buggers are so darned fast that I could only capture his backside.

Next up, Hemlock Crossing.

2 comments:

  1. Very Cool.

    We have Flickers here. Awesome and annoying. They bang on the house and especially the flashing on the chimney... apparently the loudest ones get the girls. ;-)

    ReplyDelete