To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Clearing my head.

I arrived home in the early evening yesterday after a long and trying day. I wandered about the house looking for something to do to help my mind relax. Finding no crafts I wished to begin nor tasks that could be accomplished in the time I had left before dark, I fell back on an activity that has never failed me. I climbed on my bike for a ride...a 20 mile ride, as it turns out. I used to walk when I needed to clear my head, but after getting my bike in ship-shape condition I found that nothing clears the head better than a good hard ride. I'm compelled to focus as I frequently ride on city streets and so must be on the lookout for cars, pedestrians and potholes, all of which leave little freedom for dwelling on irksome thoughts. Just what I needed.

I rode through town until I picked up a trail following South along the river. I rode hard, feeling the burn in my knees and thighs - a good burn. I forgot to hang a left over the bridge to cross the river and ended up at Millennium Park. Hmmm, that's not where I meant to be, but since I'm here...

It's a beautiful park to ride in, the paths are clear and well maintained, and they wrap around a series of ponds and lakes. I often meet runners, roller bladers, bikers, fisherman and picnickers enjoying the park as well.

It looks like I used the wrong soap in the dishwasher again. (kidding) I'm pretty sure this is the fluff from the Cottonwoods. It looks cool on the ground, but it gets in my eyes and goes up my nose when I'm riding. achoo

When the park was developed from an old gravel pit, the planning committee had the foresight to be sure the meadows would be filled with wildflowers. I think the idea is that if a plant can't survive on it's own without maintenance and watering, well, it wouldn't survive then. They really do quite well here. Are they all native? I don't know.

I don't even know the names of some. I'm sure I could look them up, but hey, I'm just here for the ride.

And in some places the path winds it's way right next to the water.

I dawdled in the park, taking a few photos; stopping to enjoy the many views; gazing about at the scenery; enjoying a fabulous Spring evening.

And all too soon it was time to head for home. I had a long way to go to get back to the city and I don't like to ride the streets after dark. So, I pedaled North, enjoying the solitude and feeling the cool breeze on my face as I wended my way through the woods.

Just as I exited the path onto the street, I was greeted with this fine sight.

"Why, hello Mr. Moon. Are you here to keep me company the rest of the way home? Thank you, I would love your company."

 I made it all the way, but for the last couple of blocks before the street lights came on. Home again, safe and sound, and my mind full of peace. Just what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment