To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Perfectly sunshiney weekend.

We don't usually have much sunshine in Michigan during the winter, but this has been an exceptional year. You will not hear any complaining from me because I thrive on the sunshine. Even better is when I actually get to experience it on the weekend. It sets the tone for my whole day and I feel energized and want to do all sorts of tasks around my house. It started with this view Saturday morning and I grinned. Will you look at that sunshine on the wall? It's gonna be a great day.
Right, I was supposed to be out the door early to run errands, but instead I ended up with a screw driver in my hand, which then caused a few doors knobs to be removed for inspecting.

This task was one of those 'duh' moments. See, I've been frustrated by the fact that my doorknobs stick so badly and I've threatened to replace all of them just to get them to stop sticking. And I would have, except I have this rule for myself and that is to not compromise the original integrity of the house if at all possible, and since I didn't want to spend money on antiques that may or may not work any better, the doors have continued to stick for 8 years. However, the other day it occured to me that the doors just might be sticking because the dear things are over 60 years old and it's doubtful that anyone was nutty enough to take them apart and oil them....until me.
Yep, before I knew it I had cleaned the paint off them (bad previous owner!), gave them a good scrubbing, oiled them good and voila, no more stuck doorknobs. Love it! I open and close the doors now just to see them not stick. I know, you can say it, "who does this wierd stuff?" haha....me!
I unpacked the few Valentine decorations I have. I made this heart runner a few years ago and it's always nice to see it again after being packed away all year. Now that was a fun handwork project to make.
Oh, and I sat in my chair and watched the water drip off the icycles, because I could.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies were baked. Gosh, I love sunny days.
See? Shadows mean sunshine. I did finally get out to run the errands and even those weren't so bad with the sun shining. There were a few more quicks projects crossed off the list, then dinner with good friends to round out my fabulous day.
B and I were planning on a sunrise walk Sunday morning, but it was bitter cold outside, and you know what? After finishing those tasks on Saturday, I felt no guilt about spending the whole day with B alternating between working on a jigsaw puzzle and watching movies while more sunlight streamed through the windows. Made for a great weekend for me. Call me greedy, but may I have another one please?

6 comments:

  1. GREAT job on the door knobs...I DID just replace all of mine (unfortunately, the original integrity had already been tampered w/ as there were mismatched, cheap looks like brass, chrome etc and to go "antiques" on a 1950 ranch would not have counted, not to mention that with all the closets, I replaced 30 door knobs...or shall I say, I hired this work out;) Wasn't the sunshine GREAT!!!! I LOVE your heart runner, you are SO talented. Well, lets hope for more sunshine;) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing just how long we can put up with life's little irritations when all along the solution is often so simple (and I'm not taking about doorknobs. Valentine's? Huh. He'll be lucky:p).
    Lovely to see you today, thanks for your input - I've been back to tidy-up my post as it was a bit rushed this morning. Spellcheck, always!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing just how long we can put up with life's little irritations when all along the solution is often so simple (and I'm not taking about doorknobs. Valentine's? Huh. He'll be lucky:p).
    Lovely to see you today, thanks for your input - I've been back to tidy-up my post as it was a bit rushed this morning. Spellcheck, always!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so get how you feel about the sunshine. I need it too or i end up feeling kinda sad and sluggish all day. Good for you for tacking those doorknobs - must feel so great that you did it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The icicles shot is beautiful. So are all the photos below, especially the wolf. What kind of camera do you have, L?
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicola - that's actually a coyote and they're making a great comeback here in MI. It's nice to see them once in a while. I've heard that if/when the wolves do move south of the bridge, they will kill the coyotes. For now the wolves can just stay in the Upper Peninsula. My camera is a Nikon D70, but the lens was a 70-300VR. It's my go-to lens when I'm outside.

    ReplyDelete