To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Watch those turns!


Riding along, minding my own business, enjoying the cool air rushing past my cheeks when suddenly, my bike veers across the road and whips me into a parking lot whereby 'it' zips along, bears a hard left and then stops with such a lurch that I am nearly tossed headlong over the handle bars. Fortunately, as I've experienced this maniacal behavior frequently in recent weeks, I was prepared for just such shenanigans from my new found friend. Apparently, we've found something of interest...good thing I brought my camera.


Many of the walls are crumbling like this and I'm wondering how long it can stand.


Hey, I've seen these stars at antique shops being sold as candle holders. Now I know what they're really used for. Okay, I don't really know what it's purpose is, but at least I see it being used in it's true purpose.


Leitelt Iron Works made the door. I tried to look them up online to get an idea of how old this building is, but LIW has had a few name and location changes since they were founded in 1862. They're still operating so my search was no help, yet. I can't help that I like to know how old old-looking buildings are.


I thought this space would be a lovely place to park my bike, but even though it's completely open and empty, it sort of felt like I would be trespassing, so I didn't. Next time I'm near here I'm going to be absolutely rebellious and ride my bike right down the middle and out the end...just to say I did.


Old electrical things and what are those pipes coming out of the right-hand side?


Door for the coal chute?


The squiggles in the glass are a reflection from the wall across the drive. I love the old rippled glass.


I want this door. I need this door. I think it goes perfectly on the barn next to my cabin in the woods. You know, the cabin I don't have...yet.


That beam at the top of the door was used to support heavy loads as they were moved out of the factory to load onto wagons. B told me that. This just gives me a vision of chestnut-colored horses attached to the wagon, frosty breath blasting forth with each snort and their shoes pinging noisily on cobblestones that are long since buried as they stamp their feet against the cold morning mist trying to seep into their bones. Perhaps it is just my imagination, but I can see them...I can hear them.

What are you exploring lately?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a cool old building! I wonder if the stars were just a decorative way to hold the bolts in place that were inserted as additional structural supports as the building began to age?
    I am with you on the door and the cabin in the woods.
    Some day.
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete