To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Bliss


Really, considering our family motto, I don't think there's a more accurate shirt for this boy. OK, Grandma Mostly could probably use one as well, but the shirt doesn't come in her size. This lad is an extraordinary story teller at the ripe old age of 5 and although I can spin a story off the cuff with little effort, I am flabbergasted at how easily he spins them - and how detailed they are - and how he readily admits that "they are stories but you should listen all the same." It has to be a genetic gift and one I intend to encourage.

This little one holds my heartstrings. She's the first girl born into our immediate family in 30 years and my goodness does she make the wait worth it. She's a tough girl with a girly-girl edge. I like that. Or is she a girly-girl with a tough girl edge?

I've been making clothes for her dolls and one of the dresses is a pretty little pink check with a ribbon of flowers along the bottom. When she saw it, she swooned, "ohhhh, it's beeeautiful!" Gosh, Miss M, let me make you 10 more when you say it like that.

And then there's this one. He's at that awkward age where he's trying to grow up and exploring what that means, but he still has so much fun as a little kid that he sometimes doesn't know which way to go. He's funny and charming and delightful to hang out with and he makes me ridiculously happy. The two of us went to see Oliver a couple months ago and he kept me laughing the whole ride home with his mimicry and ad libbing of the songs. He's funny I tell ya....

And I love them, in ways that sometimes make my breath catch in my throat leaving me unable to speak without my voice breaking.
There you have it....my bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment