To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Monday, June 29, 2009

To market, home and the boat

I had no idea what this was. The vendor at the market said it's kohlrabi and she shreds it into her coleslaw and slices it into pot roast. Sounds good, I'll take it and try it. Now I'm curious how it tastes and if I like it then I'll grow some in the garden next year.

A flat of strawberries - some for jam, some for bread, some for a pie, some for the freezer, and......done?

Hmmm, that's not enough. I think I need more strawberries, but I might be too late as I'm camping and kayaking over the 4th of July weekend. That means no time to put up more berries. (sad face)

Ah, and I fell in love with this recipe. I l.o.v.e. rhubarb and I knew instantly that this would be a great boat beverage.

Don't be alarmed by the pulp in the strainer - it's delicious and went great on my bread in the morning. Sort of like a rhubarb butter.


See? I knew it would be a great boat beverage. Good thing I've got more rhubarb frozen. Had I known about this beverage earlier in the season I would have put pounds in the freezer. Yummm....

1 comment:

  1. i love that you'd just buy a mystery vegetable.

    if you ever have some free time and need a good read, check out http://nonamefarmranch.blogspot.com/
    it's written by a girl my best friend went to school with about her experiences buying some land in the country. she has a little herd of farm animals now too. it's hilarious and well-written.

    ReplyDelete