To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Friday, March 6, 2009

Garage Sale Art Fair

Oh, this place was unbelievable! In order for artists to make room for the coming year's products they sell left over pieces from last year during the Garage Sale Art Fair at clearance prices. I mean - crazy, ridiculously cheap, clearance prices. Perhaps it's a piece of pottery that has a kiln mark that makes it less than perfect. Perhaps it's an overstock. Perhaps there's a new line coming out. I don't care because there's something for everyone and there was a lot for me.

Neither Keith (my prowling buddy) nor I had ever been (heck, we'd never heard of it before this year), but after an early breakfast we headed over to the fair grounds. We were about 30 minutes early and figured we would be first in line. Uh, no, we were not first in line and it's a good thing we got there early because by the time they let us into the sale, the line went all the way down the hall, wrapped back by us and was out the door. I think they let us in early because the workers were freezing from the door being open.

I bought fish shaped pottery platters for $10 (a gift), this covered pumpkin dish was $20 and I've been eyeing them for 3 years at a much higher price.


The hand spun and dyed wool was $1-$2 per skein. Seriously!


I paid $5 for a print of 4 women musicians that just speaks to my soul. I could have bought the original oil painting for $100, but I wasn't crazy about the frame. I might kick myself for that one. I bought a series of amazing leaf prints for $5 each that are ready to hang. There's more, but you might start doing the math and realize how much I spent. I'm so going back next year. What fun!

To celebrate our good fortune we stopped at Bell's Brewery to gloat about our purchases. Truth be told, we would have gone to Bell's anyway for the ambiance and the beer.


And, of course, I can't go to Kalamazoo without stopping at the winery. The name has changed to Tempo, but the wine is just as tasty as ever. I bought this bottle for obvious reasons; it has Alex' name on it so I had to. Bonus! It's delicious to boot.

Alex, I'll save a bottle in case you evvvvver come home, but D-I-L and I are drinking a bottle in your honor on Sunday. Busted! We're drinking it because we want to, but I promise we'll toast you on the first sip.

1 comment:

  1. You need to take me with you next time you go anywhere where there is $2 skeins of hand-dyed yarn (and wine, of course ;) )

    ReplyDelete