To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Snowy Walk in the Woods


Being the "lover of snow" that I am, I was pretty ecstatic about this last snowstorm. I know, I know, it's getting real close to being time to put away my snow wand, but seriously, how can you not have fun in the snow? So it gets a little cold; you can always bundle up.

Pickeral Lake is a nature preserve not too far from my son's house and it has a beautiful hiking trail that's just right for a bit of day hiking. Not too long at 1.9 miles, and not too difficult for the kids to handle in the snow. (Truth be told, it's not too difficult for adults to handle in the snow, but who's telling that?)

And doesn't this crew look like they were ready for some more winter fun? Heck, even the dog could hardly contain himself while we were getting ready.

Yep, and F.O.S. got into the moment by pretending he was the lumberjack. hehe
 
Sir K and Tank (the dog) pretty much blazed their own trail. Sir S was up and down and all around and kept wanting me to take more pictures of his antics. This particular spot, he decided, was a most excellent location to flop down and check out the view from a snowbank. I like that you can see mom's and my reflection in his glasses.

We saw lots of evidence of beavers, a few mouse trails under the snow, a crazy amount of wood pecker holes, and the occasional "hufflelump" and "sprangerlot" tracks. And in case you're wondering, we don't know what a hufflelump looks like because no one's ever seen one (but we know they exist) and a sprangerlot is tall, thin and shy with very large footprints. (think, snowshoe shaped) Need I remind you of our family motto? "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story" That should explain the crazy sightings on a snowy walk in the woods.

So, for all you summer folks, please be patient. Your season will be here soon enough and then all my fun will have to be packed away until the next winter. But for now, I'm going to enjoy the snow as much as I can before it leaves me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment