To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Take a hike

There's nothing like a strenuous hike (or two) in the woods to clear your head. Saturday, I called a girlfriend and the two of us headed for the woods with her dog for a very hard 5 mile hike in the hills. It was exactly what I needed to shake off both tears and grief. There was snow on the ground and the trails weren't too icy, but boy did we work it. Perhaps I should say the dog worked us. Goodness!

Later, we spent the evening on the couch at her house playing with Copic Markers, which are new to me and very cool to play with, but I don't think I'll be investing in them any time soon. Whew, they're pretty pricey. These were borrowed from someone else and I think K said we were playing with about $800 worth. Really!?! Wha...no way am I spending that kind of money on markers. Don't get me wrong, these markers rock, but $800??? And even then I couldn't find just the right color green I wanted.

If you can put aside the issue of price, these markers are very easy to use and quite easy to learn. At least, I think they're easy because I learned the blending technique in just that evening and I know it could be even better with a little more time and practice. I also love the contrast I achieved in the top picture, but again, I can not justify the price. I'll have to find a different medium for these effects. I should be able to get the blending effect from watercolors, but I'm not sure what else will give me the contrast pic yet. Sure was fun to play though.

Sunday sent me back outside to the lakeshore for a hike up and down through the woods, up and over the dunes, along the lake and back through the woods. Another strenuous 5 miles that left me drenched in sweat hiking through the woods, freezing by the lake and drenched again by the time I got back to the car.



My heart feels better, but I think I should go for another hike to be sure.

1 comment:

  1. Hiking - like a balm for the soul

    Laurent uses Copics - but not $800 worth! They are great markers and that's why he sells his cards, so he can afford quality art supplies.

    shameless mother's plug:
    http://pictograph.tougas.net/

    ReplyDelete