To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Little Exploring

Does this look like a comfortable way to read a book? Taiwan son seems to think so. Even with all the exploring we do up here, somehow a great deal of reading and knitting gets accomplished as well. It's always done in spurts, perhaps you get up before everyone else, or it's raining (not so much) or you're waiting for someone to get ready for an adventure. There is plenty of down time where you can do just exactly as you please and we're often pleased to read or knit, or carve a stick. I believe Julie taught Taiwan son how to knit on this journey and the Littles carved up a whole pile of sticks.
B and I wanted to ride our bikes down to the pier and the lighthouse in the morning and we asked the lLttles to join us, but not until we gave them strict instructions about riding bicycles in the street and how careful we wanted them to be. It's not a busy town at all, but it still requires a ride in the street and I didn't want them getting hurt when they were with me. Right...should have given myself the same little talk because in the end I somehow got Sir S's peg tangled in my front tire and we tumbled over each other and landed in a heap on the street. He was fine, but I was bloodied. ~grins~ I broke a couple of spokes and bent my tire, but thankfully, I could still ride the bike. Good grief!
What a bunch of hams! Don't you just love exploring with kids? They were all over the pier like a bunch of ants, exploring this way and that, climbing over boulders, looking for their uncle's names carved into the lighthouse, peaking down holes and balancing on the narrow walkways. I let them explore as they pleased as long as they stayed away from the edges. Not sure how much fun it would be to fish someone out of the channel.

The local historical society has a hands-on museum you can visit and it's filled with memorabilia from the area. Miss M played the piano and Sir K talked on a crank phone while Sir S wandered about the rooms, asking questions about this and that. Once they found out that nothing was off limits to them they really got to exploring and dress up is always fun, no matter how old you are.

These are the stairs we used to get down the dune and to the beach. I asked Sir S if he wanted to go to the beach...by himself. "Really," he asked? And then he was off, down the steps and across the sand to the water. Not to worry, I kept an eye on him from up top.
He won't go in the water without someone on the beach with him or he loses the privilege of being on the shore by himself. He will, however, spend hours picking up rocks and throwing them back in the water. I get that...I do the same thing myself.
Sometimes, though, we can't stay on the beach because the sand flies find us and chew on our ankles for lunch. At those times we retreat deep into the woods and find paths to hike instead. This day was one of those days. We went looking for a lake we wanted to paddle, and we found the Beaver Lake Basin Overlook.
It was a good place for an impromptu camp fire for cooking lunch...
and the view was spectacular! We were on top of the world...and loving it. And we found an amazing trail for later that we need to hike.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment