To Alex -

To Alex...who is far away in person, but never far from my heart. I miss you. Enjoy these snippets of everyday family life here in the states.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Quiet

It was the type of evening I like to enjoy on occasion. The sort where I decide I'm not going to do a darn thing except set on the couch and read. Yes, it was Valentine's Day and I was alone, but I was not lonely. Actually, I was quite content. No radio, no TV, just a few candles, a plush blanket and a good book to get lost in.
Okay, there was also a bowl of Jelly Bellies sitting within reach, but I was lost in the book, I really was, and I paid no attention to the bowl of candy. At least, I didn't think I did until I glanced down and had to laugh at myself. Apparently, I like my candy to be sorted when I'm eating it. Who does this!?! And why are there no watermelon candies left?
Well, that broke my mood for reading and I went looking for something productive to do, but instead I came across a camera lens that I've been considering replacing. Shoot, might as well play with it again to see if I really want to let it go. Let's see, what can I take pictures of...oh yes, there are my four inspirations. I love these women. To me they are no nonsense, 'we stick together' women. Together they can do anything! They inspire me and they are prominently displayed in my living room.
Then there's my lovely rooster. I didn't want to be cliche about having chickens and roosters in the kitchen, but he does hang on the kitchen wall. I found him in one of my favorite shops (the kind with a jingle bell on the door) a few years ago when I was prowling with a friend. It's an oil painting by someone in China and I believe I bought it when Alex was living in China for a bit. I think it made me feel closer to him at the time.
I took many pictures of ordinary items in my home last night. Enough to make me realize I love this lens. I just need to use it more. It's fabulous in low light and it's very fast. My only prime lens. I guess I won't be trading it out after all.

Now for the yummy part of the evening. I was looking in the refrigerator the other day, assessing what ingredients I had on hand that I should use up and noticed there were 4 jars of various amounts of fruit jelly on the shelf. And wouldn't you know that I had three different recipes that I had clipped for fruit squares, but I hadn't taken the time to study them to see how I could make them work for me. These turned out to be a mixture of raspberry jelly and orange marmalade, coconut, oats and butter. There are a couple more ingredients, but I have some tweaking to do before I think they're ready for a shared recipe. For now, they are delicious and there are 2 less jars of jelly in my stock.
Ah yes, I love a quiet evening all to myself. Now, where did I put that book....

No comments:

Post a Comment